Hartman Downbearing Gage vs. Lowell Gauge

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:00:04 -0600

>  I don't see that there is anything difficult or time
>consuming about using the Lowell gage.  You place it either on the front or
>back segment of the string.  Zero it.  Measure the angle of the other
>segment.  That angle gives you the bearing.

As well as giving you a degrees of deflection figure that no one in the
world has to try to convert into something they can understand for
meaningful conversation. Degrees are degrees everywhere, as far as I know.

>About the only way it could be
>simpler was if the bubble gage was calibrated in more sensible increments
>of angle than 1/6 degree and if the degree units were actually marked on
>the gage (and if he hadn't included instructions with the gage which make
>something simple seem complicated).
>
>Phil Ford

Precision level vials are typically calibrated in minutes of a degree
(1/60°), and 10' divisions (1/6) aren't really that weird. The
instructions, I agree, needed a little help.

Ron N