Knuckle removal

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:50:36 EST

Try putting the shank sideways on a flat anvil. Tap firmly into the side of
the knuckle core with a flat punch or cold chisel, then cut up into the knuckle
(across the diameter of the round end) with a side cutter. The whole thing
just pulls out. If the knuckles have a small puddle of squeeze out glue along
the underside of the shank you are much more likely to break the shank.  In this
case loosening under the blob of glue with a razor blade first is a good
idea. The tap with the cold chisel breaks the glue joint in the mortise and the
side cutters just breaks it up.  If you do all the tapping first and then attack
with the side cutters you can do a whole set in no time.  However I agree
that the new shanks are a better idea if they are available. I only replace
knuckles on funky unusual parts that have no reasonable replacement.  TP