metallic string sound help

Mike Lud Mike.Lud1@verizon.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:08:34 -0500

I would like to clean up the metallic sounds and occasional buzzing that =
occur when the notes between A4 and A5 are initially played on a Baldwin =
Hamilton that is about 3 years old.  This seems to be the result of the =
pressure bar being too high.  I came to this conclusion by doing the =
following:

1)       Checking the height on the pressure bar using the method =
described in this article by Kent Webb =
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/attachments/53/99/87/2f/attachment=
.bin (found to be too high);

2)       Applying pressure between the V-Bar and the pressure bar =
(stopped the metallic sound).

I would like to lower the pressure bar and have the following questions:

1)       How low should the pitch be dropped - by a certain number of =
cents or turns on the tuning pin?

2)      Should the pitch be lowered in steps?

3)      Should the bass be dropped also?

4)      Once the pitch is dropped, is it safe to remove one screw at a =
time to check if the hole is deep enough and to apply bees wax for =
lubrication?

=20

Thanks very much.

Mike Lud