metallic string sound help

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:45:31 -0500

--=====================_22296296==.ALT
Mike,
         I don't believe that I would lower the tension at all. (Fools go=20
where angels fear to tread and all that) :-) The tightening of the pressure=
=20
bar screws is not likely to be that great anyway. If you find yourself=20
making a major tightening I think that something is very amiss here.=20
perhaps a max turn of a half way around should be more than adequate. That=
=20
will raise the pitch to be sure but I don't think that you're in any=20
danger. You could always depress and hold the damper pedal, pluck a string=
=20
and turn the screw. Your ears will certainly tell you what's going on.=20
What's that old axium? Know What You Are Doing and Why You Are Doing It.=20
KWYADAWYADI. Re: #4 I don't think you have to worry about the depth of the=
=20
hole either.

Best,
Greg Newell

At 08:08 PM 2/24/2004, you wrote:

>I would like to clean up the metallic sounds and occasional buzzing that=20
>occur when the notes between A4 and A5 are initially played on a Baldwin=20
>Hamilton that is about 3 years old.  This seems to be the result of the=20
>pressure bar being too high.  I came to this conclusion by doing the=
 following:

>1)       Checking the height on the pressure bar using the method=20
>described in this article by Kent Webb=20
><https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/attachments/53/99/87/2f/attachment.=
bin>https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/attachments/53/99/87/2f/attachmen=
t.bin=20
>(found to be too high);
>
>2)       Applying pressure between the V-Bar and the pressure bar (stopped=
=20
>the metallic sound).
>
>I would like to lower the pressure bar and have the following questions:
>
>1)       How low should the pitch be dropped =96 by a certain number of=20
>cents or turns on the tuning pin?
>
>2)      Should the pitch be lowered in steps?
>
>3)      Should the bass be dropped also?
>
>4)      Once the pitch is dropped, is it safe to remove one screw at a=20
>time to check if the hole is deep enough and to apply bees wax for=
 lubrication?

>Thanks very much.
>
>Mike Lud
>

>---