Master Piano Artisan

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:07:22 +0100

Keith, Stéphane, Avery

I find my self in agreement with all of you, tho there is some apparent
dissagreement between you.

The thing is, a good tech should of course be able to handle the very
best of instruments, be it Kawaii, Steinway, Overs, Steingræber,
Fabulioli :)... what have you.

That many RPT's and their counterparts from various associations around
the world are obviously not quite ready to fully assure top performance
of these instruments says more about the level of expertise required by
our associations, and the degree we succesfully impress upon our members
of the need to stay humble in the face of aquiring new and refined
skills in our chosen trade.

Seems clear to me that a freshly baked RPT more often then not should
think twice about whipping out the needle and assuming he/she is capable
of imparting high quality voicing to such an instrument.

No doubt that is the concern felt by these same companies, many of which
  run their own academies.... or shall we call them finishing schools
for experienced techs.

Ideally, factories and associations should work together to establish
different levels of acreditation that fairly reflect a techs abilities,
and that all techs in all associations respect fully their own level of
acheivement, and that of those who have progressed further.

Seems to me there is really plenty of work around for all, and plenty of
opportunity for each tech to reach the highest levels of achievement. So
knowing your place at any given time shouldnt be nearly the problem it
generally is.

So.. I end up agreeing with Stephane that any compentent tech should be
able to handle these instruments, while also agreeing with Avery and
Keith in that just because you are an RPT... doesnt mean you should take
on one of these high quality high performance instruments.

Cheers
RicB