Master Piano Artisan

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:37:18 -0600

Hi Keith,

>>The master Piano Artisan is, in principle, the only one having the right
>>to service Shigeru Kawai pianos (this can be a
>>problem, since your dealer might tell you he is not allowed to do
>>anything except tuning).
>
>While that could be an inconvenience in some situation, I find that to be
>a valuable asset for the Shigeru piano line and its owners.

My understanding on this subject is that Kawai sends someone to service the
Shigeru after it's sold and in the customer's home. After that, it's up to
the owner! Kawai is obviously not going to keep sending a tech from Japan to
service the instrument! Especially not for free! :-)

>>  Usually, a piano technician has to do several trainings (once a year)
>> to keep his license to service the shigeru's...
>
>Rightly so.

Agreed.

>>It's my feeling that Kawai considers the Shigeru as the "jewels of the
>>crown", which is a bit over-estimated.
>
>Not in my book. The 7' Shigeru I experienced was like the crown jewel of
>the entire exhibit hall's inventory last year.

We have one at the university and everyone who's played on it. loves it!

>>According
>>to Kawai, you can or need to do only very little things on the shigeru's,
>>and only the MPA can do it. This is likely
>>over-estimating those instruments.

I really don't think that's so, after the first service by a Kawai tech!
Besides, after this first service, I fully expect to have to maintain the
instrument without Kawai's help. Unless there are problems and I "need" some
help, of course!

>Keep on believing that, because I certainly don't.

Me either!

>>I have no doubt that any experienced piano technician can service those
>>pianos...
>
>That obviously depends on your definition of 'experienced'. Some of us
>so-called experienced piano technicians could easily undermine the
>instrument's performance level in one innocent visit.

That's why I'm going to learn all I can while he's here to service our 7'! :-)
Believe me, I'll be trying to "pick his brain"!

Hey, Keith. For once, we're in TOTAL agreement! :-)

>Keith

Avery