Master Piano Artisan

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:12:41 -0600

St=E9phane,

Your comments bother me. Maybe it's because I=20
don't understand the  French culture. If so, then=20
that's my problem. But here's my shoot from the=20
hip at your shots:

At 8:35 PM +0100 2/24/04, St=E9phane Hanriat wrote:
>... A master Piano Artisan is nothing but a=20
>registered piano technician who holds a special=20
>degree delivered by Kawai Japan.

That is so much more than an RPT!

>This means that he or she has been trained in=20
>Japan Kawai lab, working on concert grands and=20
>shigeru kawai brand.

That is a fairly significant reality.

>The master Piano Artisan is, in principle, the=20
>only one having the right to service Shigeru=20
>Kawai pianos (this can be a
>problem, since your dealer might tell you he is=20
>not allowed to do anything except tuning).

While that could be an inconvenience in some=20
situation, I find that to be a valuable asset for=20
the Shigeru piano line and its owners.

>  Usually, a piano technician has to do several=20
>trainings (once a year) to keep his license to=20
>service the shigeru's...

Rightly so.

>It's my feeling that Kawai considers the Shigeru=20
>as the "jewels of the crown", which is a bit=20
>over-estimated.

Not in my book. The 7' Shigeru I experienced was=20
like the crown jewel of the entire exhibit hall's=20
inventory last year.

It was like I sat down at a piano that someone=20
knew what needed to be done before the purchase=20
rather than finding out all that needed to be=20
done after the purchase.

>According
>to Kawai, you can or need to do only very little=20
>things on the shigeru's, and only the MPA can do=20
>it. This is likely
>over-estimating those instruments.

Keep on believing that, because I certainly don't.

>I have no doubt that any experienced piano=20
>technician can service those pianos...

That obviously depends on your definition of=20
'experienced'. Some of us so-called experienced=20
piano technicians could easily undermine the=20
instrument's performance level in one innocent=20
visit.

C'est du moins mon opinion, neh?

Keith

Keith McGavern                                    Texas State Association
Registered Piano Technician                 SOONER SPRING SEMINAR
Oklahoma Chapter 731                            March 11-14, 2004
Piano Technicians Guild                        http://www.ptg.org/tsa/
USA