Condemnation and obtaining for personal gain

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:24:46 -0500

Good morning all.

Recently, I had to give the bad news to an elderly couple with a 1915
M&H A. It was established that the piano hadn't been tuned in 12 years
rather than the 5 originally thought - I always find it amazing how
people's memories work, or not, when it refers to piano maintenance..

Anyway, the pinblock was shot..I put my tuning lever on a tuning pin and
BOING..same thing across the block.

Now I know what you're saying: CA it Bondi!!..sorry..this couple has no
money to spend on any repairs, and my regular tuning price was "a little
higher than expected" to begin with..it would be with 12 years between
tunings.

They're going to be moving to Minnesota in a few years and are now
willing to leave the piano behind with the house..I suggested to them
that before they do that, I would be happy to take the piano off their
hands for an agreed upon price..The man of the house said he would think
about that.  The piano needs everything..especially the cabinet:
alligatored like Jim Bryant's favorite football team!!!

I don't run into this situation very often where I have to give the bad
news for pianos that are potentially quite worthy of rebuilding and
re-selling and are basically worthless where they sit.

I would like to have this piano to work on..again, I believe it's a
pre-Aeolian M&H, and they are rare birds in these parts.

If you were me, and be glad you're not, how would you handle this situation?

Seriously,
Phil(Fl)