Broken Plate

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:27:09 -0800

Here is the original post

Ran into an 1890 Hobart Cable upright with a broken plate. Open face
pinblock with full plate (above and below block). The horizontal section
of the plate which lies just below the pinblock and tapers down to about 1
1/4" wide where it joins the treble side of the plate is cracked at that
juncture. There are large plate screws all along this horizontal section
which secure to the frame underneath. The screw which is nearest the break
is about 10" to the bass side. The piano is 25 cents flat but seems to be
fairly well in tune with itself. Original strings. Impossible to tell how
long the crack has been there--though I wonder if in tightening the plate
screws, this small arm of the plate wasn't stressed due to bad fitting
underneath and the plate has been cracked from the outset. Am I getting
into any trouble to try and tune the piano? Since the crack exists on a
horizontal section and since that section is mostly secured with plate
screws, it appears that it is not having any effect on the tuning
stability.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 2/25/2004 7:48:33 AM
Subject: Re: Broken Plate

In a message dated 2/24/04 7:38:54 PM Pacific Standard Time, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

Recall the broken plate I talked about awhile ago.  Attached is a picture.
I tuned the piano where it was (-20c) and it seemed to be stable enough.
Any thoughts about potential problems?

David,

It looks like a low stress-point to me...but then, what do I know?  I'd be curious to find out how it holds up, and, if possible, to find out how long it's been in its current state.

I missed the original post.  Is this a Chickering Quarter Grand?  I've seen one of those cracked at or near the same place.