Lowell Gauge

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:17:03 -0500

At 10:06 PM -0500 2/25/04, David Skolnik wrote:
>It's doubtful that Lowell was able to retire on all the profits he
>made off the gauge.  The investment is surely sizable, and you know
>right off that the Journal illustrator isn't buying one.

A surgeon specializing in organ transplants normally isn't interested
in the pathology of the organs he's replacing. Then again, there
would be no better way of confirming the existence of rolled bridges.

>You'd have to make it better and / or cheaper, otherwise, why not
>buy the original?

I wasn't interested myself. But it seemed as though if Tom had really
abandoned this tool, its production should be picked up by someone
else. Considering that Baldwin apparently never exercised a claim on
this invention, it wouldn't be hard for them to jump in. One of their
factories has to have a tool room, where the patterns for the
blow-molds could be made. Bob Marinelli at PianoTek has years of
experience in bringing new tools from concept to catalog. Heck, even
if Pianotek negotiated a production/marketing licence with Tom, the
original blow-molds (or at least the drawings for them) have to
around somewhere. If the small hardware was available 15 years ago,
it probably still is now.

But I'm glad to here that Tom Lowell is back on the case.

>He explained that his personal life had been in significant turmoil
>over the last couple of years, preventing him from attending to this
>aspect of his professional life.

Hey, I can relate to that.

>Just sharing what I know,

Thanks, David

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles
to that perfection during the building."
     ...........LaRoy Edwards, Yamaha International Corp