Wondering about the effects of scaling on tunability

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:59:02 EST

Hi list,

As I dip into the vast well of knowledge about pianos that is available on
this list and elsewhere, I am gradually learning how much of the theories apply
to real life situations.

I've recently been noticing in many pianos how difficult it can be to match
up the octaves for the last bicords before they change to monocords.  And how
pianos, particularly short ones, that have wire all the way down to the
tenor/bass break can sound really thumpy or whiny in that area.

For instance, I've tuned many 10-20 year old Yamaha G-2s.  On the surface,
nothing wrong with them, and most of them are in good shape.  But I've always
found them difficult to tune(unlike the U-1 and U-3s, which are probably the
easiest pianos on the planet to tune), and I'm beginning to wonder about the
scaling on them.  Is this a reason they were discontinued?

I am interested in learning a bit more about scaling.  Not that I plan to
build the next great piano, but I'd certainly like to gain some wisdom in this
area.  If anybody has any recommendations for books or websites regarding
scaling that are not overly math-driven, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for all your info, past and future,

Dave Stahl