Wondering about the effects of scaling on tunability

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:20:10 -0500

Ditto. This is one of about 67 areas I desperately need to gain =
fundamental understandings of.....

Can anyone recommend a course of attack?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 10:59 AM
  Subject: Wondering about the effects of scaling on tunability

  Hi list,=20

  As I dip into the vast well of knowledge about pianos that is =
available on this list and elsewhere, I am gradually learning how much =
of the theories apply to real life situations.=20

  I've recently been noticing in many pianos how difficult it can be to =
match up the octaves for the last bicords before they change to =
monocords.  And how pianos, particularly short ones, that have wire all =
the way down to the tenor/bass break can sound really thumpy or whiny in =
that area.  =20

  For instance, I've tuned many 10-20 year old Yamaha G-2s.  On the =
surface, nothing wrong with them, and most of them are in good shape.  =
But I've always found them difficult to tune(unlike the U-1 and U-3s, =
which are probably the easiest pianos on the planet to tune), and I'm =
beginning to wonder about the scaling on them.  Is this a reason they =
were discontinued?=20

  I am interested in learning a bit more about scaling.  Not that I plan =
to build the next great piano, but I'd certainly like to gain some =
wisdom in this area.  If anybody has any recommendations for books or =
websites regarding scaling that are not overly math-driven, I'd =
appreciate it.  =20

  Thanks for all your info, past and future,=20

  Dave Stahl