Wondering about the effects of scaling on tunability

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:15:40 -0500

At 10:59 AM -0500 2/26/04, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:
>If anybody has any recommendations for books or websites regarding
>scaling that are not overly math-driven, I'd appreciate it.

There's now way of avoiding the math. A properly drawn string scale
is one whose attributes (tension, % of breaking point, inharmonicity,
stiffness), when graphed, look like smooth curves. You'll find out
quickly how achievable such smoothness is.

Your difficulty with harmonizing the tenor section lies in the
inharmoncity curve. For a wonderful introduction to that, you should
start with Dan Levitan's series in the PTJ (starting I believe, in
9/73). As for calculating (and visualizing/graphing) an existing
scale or a new one, buy "The Calculating Technician" by David Roberts
(PTG Foundation Press), condensed from his series of 20 articles in
the PTJ 1979-81. Once you've done that, you'll appreciate reading the
original articles.

And when you've got all that under your belt and are back on the list
reading to discuss rescaling, be prepared for someone who will say
that if the manufacturer didn't get the string scale right, they
probably missed alot about the proper design of the board, ribs and
bridge. The implication being that a simple rescaling without equal
attention to these other aspects of the belly isn't doing the piano
much of a favor.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later...."
     ...........Miles Davis