Iron frame cleaning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:36:02 -0500

Trisodium phosphate - yes, correct. If rusty, sand it - you're going to =
paint it anyway. If I sand down to bare iron, I prime with =
automotive-type primer. The finish!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 5:25 PM
  Subject: Re: Iron frame cleaning

  Hi I=F1aki,

  Trisodium phosphate (recommended by Greg) is a powerful detergent and =
would be a good first step for degreasing.  However, it's not going to =
help with the rust, which I suspect is much of your problem.  There are =
a variety of products here in the US (and I'm sure there in Spain) that =
attack rust.  One such product is called "Naval Jelly," my favorite.  If =
you can't find that, there's also "CLR," which attacks calcium, lime =
(the same thing) and rust.  These products react chemically with the =
rust to "dissolve" it, while not harming the metal.  I've used them with =
great success on rust-stained concrete and rusty iron hardware.  You can =
probably find similar products at your local hardware store or grocery =
store in the "cleaning supplies" isle.

  Peace,
  Sarah

    ----- Original Message -----=20