Scaling

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:59:01 -0800

Terry said: "I desperately need to gain =
fundamental understandings of.....

Can anyone recommend a course of attack?

Terry Farrell

Terry,
I would recommend getting one of the two scale programs available. Either
ScaleMaster from Mark Gallant. (I was the beta tester for this one.<G> And,
it's the one I use.) Or, Pscale.
Then, spend a whole bunch of time measuring various instruments and
crunching the numbers in the program(s). Each of us that actually do scale
evaluation/upgrades/design have done this. Once you have done many
evaluations, you will start to see trends, (especially in better grade
pianos), and start to come up with some alternate designs. THEN, it's time
to put that work to good use in rebuilding a few of your own pianos, using
this technology. Of course, bouncing ideas off of those that do, is also a
good idea. But, don't do it until you are fully conversant with the program
and are comfortable with the ideas.
Also, read "The Calculating Technician". Actually, don't read it.....Devour
It!<G>
To me, Scaling is of the utmost importance to anyone who espouses to be a
"rebuilder". Those who "rebuild" without, at least, doing a complete
evaluation of EVERY piano they do, is short changing the customer AND
themselves, IMHO.
After all of that, you will start to equate tuning to the scale, with more
practical approaches, in your decisions about each tuning.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I