Scaling/Joe Garrett

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:23:42 EST

In a message dated 2/26/04 3:57:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> rry,
> I would recommend getting one of the two scale programs available. Either
> ScaleMaster from Mark Gallant. (I was the beta tester for this one.<G> And,
> it's the one I use.) Or, Pscale.
> Then, spend a whole bunch of time measuring various instruments and
> crunching the numbers in the program(s). Each of us that actually do scale
> evaluation/upgrades/design have done this. Once you have done many
> evaluations, you will start to see trends, (especially in better grade
> pianos), and start to come up with some alternate designs. THEN, it's time
> to put that work to good use in rebuilding a few of your own pianos, using
> this technology. Of course, bouncing ideas off of those that do, is also a
> good idea. But, don't do it until you are fully conversant with the program
> and are comfortable with the ideas.
> Also, read "The Calculating Technician". Actually, don't read it.....Devour
> It!<G>
> To me, Scaling is of the utmost importance to anyone who espouses to be a
> "rebuilder". Those who "rebuild" without, at least, doing a complete
> evaluation of EVERY piano they do, is short changing the customer AND
> themselves, IMHO.
> After all of that, you will start to equate tuning to the scale, with more
> practical approaches, in your decisions about each tuning.
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares Are I

Joe,

I don't have room to be a rebuilder--yet.  But I am curious and seek more
knowledge about why certain pianos sound or tune in different ways.

Carl Meyer, who lives quite close to my future residence, has offered to
tutor me a bit and show me the P-scale program.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Dave Stahl

PS  Any news on parts for that old New England Upright?