Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:44:36 -0600

I thought some might find this piano to be of interest. It appears to
be recognizable as a Style 2, the plate says S&S NY but the serial
number doesn't make much sense, 480.

The current owner of the piano is a voice professor who purchased the
piano in Stuttgart. The piano is said to have lived for years in a
German opera house as a rehearsal piano.

The action is not recognizable as Steinway. Rocker capstans have been
removed in favor of pedestals and modern capstans.

The drop screws of newish shanks and flanges hit the pinblock and
prevent the action from being removed from the piano, an unfortunate
thing since the need for regulation is becoming dire. There are no BR
studs that one might raise to lower the action. (Early-rising dampers
are causing ringing-on notes, and jacks are skipping out on normal
blows.)

I really need to get this action out of the piano. I have never seen
the piano in high humidity and have suggested that I be called out when
the relative humidity in the house is above 60, just to see if there is
any difference.

Any ideas?

Kent Swafford

Photos are at the following URLs: