Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:32:40 -0500

Kent-

Depending upon how extensive and to what degree the problem with the drop
screws is,a few things come to mind.  First, you could throw a damp chaser
or hair dryer in there to shrink the action a bit, though you might be
concerned about the pinblock as well.  If the contact is happening in an
area of the block that is accessible to you when the action in place, you
could sand the block slightly.  Lastly, I'm not sure how the keybed is
installed on these period instrument, but if possible, you could support
the piano behind the front legs and loosen the key bed screws.

I had a the same problem with a similar vintage Steinway, except it did ( I
think) have balance rail studs.  It has the original rocker action.  I''ll
be seeing the piano soon.  I'll see if I get any other ideas, if you
haven't solved it by then.. Good luck.

David Skolnik