Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:47:30 -0500

Kent,

I see things here that are all too familiar. In photo two I see
evidence of a plate crack that has been welded or finished over. Plate
cracks are very common in these early Steinways. The tuning pins were
originally straight up and down. The pinblock has rotated and that's why
the action is trapped. I have seen this many times and the only way to
get the action out is to use a small carvers gouge and make small
grooves for each drop screw and flange screw.  The rotation of the block
may also be why the dampers are starting too soon. Check to see how
close the wires are from the damper guide rail in the middle area.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal
Journal Illustrator/Contributing Editor

John Hartman
The Universal, How-to, Hands-on Illustrator