Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:39:09 +0100

John Hartman wrote:

> Kent,
>
> I see things here that are all too familiar. In photo two I see
> evidence of a plate crack that has been welded or finished over. Plate
> cracks are very common in these early Steinways.

Are you referring to the first strut in picture number two ? If so...why
would that crack right there... on the top half of the strut ? I'da
thought  with the pinblock wanting to rotate in that direction, any
crack on strut would have to open from the bottom.

> The tuning pins were
> originally straight up and down. The pinblock has rotated and that's why
> the action is trapped.

Wow... thats a whole lot of rotation. Can the block on these really
rotate that much ? Why doesnt the front top edge of the pinblock pull
away from the stretcher then ?  Looks like a clean fit still.

> I have seen this many times and the only way to
> get the action out is to use a small carvers gouge and make small
> grooves for each drop screw and flange screw.

Why not drop the keybed... or is it non removable on these ?

> The rotation of the block
> may also be why the dampers are starting too soon.

Why ? I'm sure you have a good explanation but this is a head scratcher
  for me right off the top :)

Check to see how
> close the wires are from the damper guide rail in the middle area.
>

> John Hartman RPT

Cheers
RicB