Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:02:14 -0500

Richard,

This sort of 3/4 plate is entirely different from the European ones you
usually see. The plate stops before the tuning pins, there is no frame
structure over or behind the tuning pins. In the more familiar later
American and European type the plates start to crack at the struts were
they meet the agraffe area. They start at the bottom and travel up. With
this sort the pin block rotates, pivoting on the plate flange, The
bottom of the flange looses contact. You usually can put an object about
1/16" in the gap. The stresses on the plate are forcing the struts to
bow upward. They usually start to crack from the top to the bottom. They
often fail somewhere between the nose bolt and were they end at the
string rest. Sometimes the nose bolts are pulling out of the framework
underneath or the framing starts to fail.

To observe the rotation it is useful to place rectangular objects, a
couple of books for example, on the pin block yoke and observe how much
it is twisted in the middle. A five to Seven degree angle is typical
especially on the smaller model.

Since the front end of the plate is rotated down the string plane begins
to lower. You can see this by looking at how close the strings in the
tenor area get to the damper guide rail. I have seen ones that are as
close as 3/16" and they will vibrate against the rail when a forceful
blow is delivered.

I have some photos of a pin block replacement I did on ones of these
quite a few years a go. If any one is interest I will place the few
photos I have in digital form on my web site. I have a more complete set
of these I have shown at some of my classes.

--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal
Journal Illustrator/Contributing Editor

John Hartman
The Universal, How-to, Hands-on Illustrator