Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:51:45 -0600

At 02:44 PM 2/28/2004, you wrote:
>The drop screws of newish shanks and flanges hit the pinblock and prevent
>the action from being removed from the piano, an unfortunate thing since
>the need for regulation is becoming dire. There are no BR studs that one
>might raise to lower the action.

How'd the rebuilder get it in there then?

>I really need to get this action out of the piano. I have never seen the
>piano in high humidity and have suggested that I be called out when the
>relative humidity in the house is above 60, just to see if there is any
>difference.

And, coincidentally, to buy some time to plan an attack. Good move. You
might even get lucky.

>Any ideas?
>
>Kent Swafford

Depends on what's there. Do the drop screws interfere at the ends too, or
just the middle, all the way across? Glide bolts would certainly be handy,
but... There wouldn't be glides in the key bed, accessible from underneath,
would there? Yea, I didn't think so. One thing I'd consider is thin poster
board, sheet metal, phenolic sheet, or whatever is thin enough to slip
under the pinblock and over the drop screws, and tough enough that the
screws won't punch through as you skate the stuff, with the action, under
the block and out. Or if all else fails, you could take the keybed off.

Ron N