Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:29:41 +0100

Donald Mannino wrote:
> Kent,
>
> I rebuilt one of those in the 80s.  It is from the 1860s, and the action
> in the one I worked on had been converted to a tubular metallic frame in
> the 1870s.
>
> The pinblock on the one I did was exactly as your picture shows, so I do
> not agree that the pinblock has moved.  The pinblock on this model is
> morticed into the case sides, with the case structure built up over top
> of the pinblock - which has hidden bolts down into the rim.  Very
> difficult pinblock to replace, and pretty well impossible for it to move.
>
> The plate struts do look repaired, and that is the correct direction for
> them to crack, too - on top.  The pinblock may be high up in relation to
> the struts, but the string plane is still below them.
> As long as they are not re-cracking, those should be a problem.

Ok... but since you dont buy the pinblock rotation suggestion, you must
have a different explanation also for the stresses involved that cause
the strut to crack with the open side on top. Could you describe that
please?

> To remove the action, use a hacksaw blade. ....

Several have mentioned droping the keybed... I assume since that
suggestion has been met with silence by both Mannino and Hartman, that
this is not a good idea or perhaps not possible ... could we get a
clarification on that as well ?

> These are kind of nice pianos, but the action ratios are likely totally
> messed up by the capstans.  It's a shame people put capstans in these
> actions, because the rocker actions really perform quite well (once you
> get them regulated!).

I agree about the rocker actions. I've run into several both before and
since getting familiarized with Stanwoods way of setting up an action. I
really dont see any reason why capstans should be installed on these.
Replacing the rocker arm screws might be a good idea on some, but really
these work well. With screws that turn easily, I dont find them a big
problem to regulate. A bit more time consuming... but thats about it on
the negative side.

> Don Mannino

Cheers
RicB