Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:21:13 -0500

At 2:44 PM -0600 2/28/04, Kent Swafford wrote:
>Any ideas?

I once had to extract the action from a Stwy B with a sagged block.
As with your piano, the drop screws wanted to dig ditches in the
block on their way out. What I did was to make a "crowbar out of my
tuning hammer and screwdriver brace bit, and pry upwards between the
hammer rail and the underside of the block. Obviously the downward
pressure of this crowbar on the action farme produced its own intense
friction between the keyframe and bed, but it least this was and
obstacle i could overcome, not like having 30+ drops screws claw
their way across the underside of the block.

One hand on the crowbar, my foot pumping the UC pedal, and my other
hand on a T-shaped stringing hook  which was pulling on a front pin.
After that, I went at the underside of the block with a chisel, and
erased the score marks left by the  drop screws.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."
     ...........Ancient Chinese Proverb