Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:23:27 +0100

Bill Ballard wrote:

> At 2:44 PM -0600 2/28/04, Kent Swafford wrote:
>
>> Any ideas?
>

> I once had to extract the action from a Stwy B with a sagged block. As
> with your piano, the drop screws wanted to dig ditches in the block on
> their way out. What I did was to make a "crowbar out of my tuning hammer
> and screwdriver brace bit, and pry upwards between the hammer rail and
> the underside of the block. Obviously the downward pressure of this
> crowbar on the action farme produced its own intense friction between
> the keyframe and bed, but it least this was and obstacle i could
> overcome, not like having 30+ drops screws claw their way across the
> underside of the block.

Hmmm... well if its just a matter of the drop screws marking up the
underside... I say mark it... I mean big deal.  I would be more worried
about busting up a bunch of hammershankflanges.

Seems to me tho, given the suggestion that the pinblock had rotated down
in the front to what looks like about a 15 degree pitch.... that one
would be less inclined to service the action at all until a new block
was fitted. Or what ??

Cheers
RicB