Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

R Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:54:50 -0600

> Since the front end of the plate is rotated down the string plane begins
> to lower. You can see this by looking at how close the strings in the
> tenor area get to the damper guide rail. I have seen ones that are as
> close as 3/16" and they will vibrate against the rail when a forceful
> blow is delivered.

Amazing. Now in Kent's picture showing the tuning pins tilted toward the
bass bridge, is that a result of the plate or pinblock moving? If so how
could this piano ever have held a tuning?   With the pins tilted in the
opposite direction of today I can see how the pin block might have "sunk" or
"rotated" downward.  I can imagine it may now indeed be supported by the
drop screws in which case the action can never  be removed until the strings
and offending pin  block are removed...   ;,(,
How far from the floor is the bottom of the lyre?   Or peering across the
bottom of the key bed from underneath the piano does it seem bowed downward?
; )

This is what I love about pianotech list.  You have access to hundreds of
technicians once in a lifetime experiences.

Richard Moody
    www.pnotec.com

            "An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."
Niels Bohr (1885-1962), Danish scientific.....from
http://www.pandasoftware.com