removing a hammer rail!??

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:52:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "pianolover 88" <pianolover88@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 11:37 PM
Subject: removing a hammer rail!??

> I've never had to remove an upright hammer rail...until now.  I cannot
> figure out HOW to remove it without bending or just plain PULLING out at
> least one of those retainer "L" shaped thingees that it moves back and
forth
> on. On this particular piano, two go one way and the third goes the other,
> "locking" it into place. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the the
> third one, so then the rail will simply slide out, but I can't move the
rail
> even a little ways,  to unscrew it; I know there must be a way but i don't
> see it. Any ideas? thanks!
>
> Terry Peterson

    Well, you DO have to bend usually the leftmost hammer rail prop
(L-shaped thingee).  Use your key spacer up against the underside of the
rail and bend the prop to the right far enough that the others will slide
out to the left.  You may have to remove a couple hammer butts if they keep
the props from sliding out all the way.  On some actions, you can
temporarily remove the action bracket screws to make removal easier, but
usually the spring rail is also fastened, and we know how easy those screws
are to get at (until the hammer rail's off, of course).  --David Nereson,
RPT