removing a hammer rail!??

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:38:17 EST

In a message dated 2/28/04 10:49:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> I've never had to remove an upright hammer rail...until now.  I cannot
> figure out HOW to remove it without bending or just plain PULLING out at
> least one of those retainer "L" shaped thingees that it moves back and forth
> on. On this particular piano, two go one way and the third goes the other,
> "locking" it into place. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the the
> third one, so then the rail will simply slide out, but I can't move the rail
> even a little ways,  to unscrew it; I know there must be a way but i don't
> see it. Any ideas? thanks!

Terry,

I removed one...by accident!  I picked up the action by the hammer rail and
voila: the action fell to the ground, leaving little bits of stickers and
whippens scattered all over the place.

Not the recommended way of doing it....:-(

Dave Stahl