removing a hammer rail!??

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:03:04 -0600

We do this all the time.  You must often do two things.

1) remove one or more hammer butts that are in the way of the L hooks that
will come out of the cast iron action bracket

2)Find the bracket that has the L hook pointing the opposite direction of
the other three; take out most or all of the screws from the action bracket
including the screw going into the spring rail.  When screws are out move
the bracket to the side and pull the hammer rail to the side enough to
remove the other three hooks from their holes.  Put the screws back in to do
your work until you must return the rail to its position.  Then do it again
to replace the rail.  NEVER bend these L hooks as they love to break.  Just
try to find a new one that matches.  Lots of luck.

When you are rebuilding you should always replace the bushing felt.  It is
easy and it doesn't always need glue to install.  This is the source of
numerous squeaks and often they are worn through if the pedal has been used
a lot

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianolover 88 [mailto:pianolover88@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 12:37 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: removing a hammer rail!??

I've never had to remove an upright hammer rail...until now.  I cannot
figure out HOW to remove it without bending or just plain PULLING out at
least one of those retainer "L" shaped thingees that it moves back and forth
on. On this particular piano, two go one way and the third goes the other,
"locking" it into place. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the the
third one, so then the rail will simply slide out, but I can't move the rail
even a little ways,  to unscrew it; I know there must be a way but i don't
see it. Any ideas? thanks!

Terry Peterson

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed