Steinway Style 2 (Modified by Kent Swafford)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:56:27 -0500

Richard Brekne wrote:
> John Hartman wrote:
>
>> Richard, Kent,
>

> Ok... I'm a bit unclear on a couple things here. The pic on the left is
> Hartmans reproducition of the same type of pinblock, and I see something
> I wasnt origionally aware of... the pinblock itself seems to extend
> under the plank of wood that recieved the rosewood veneer... (is this
> what you term the <<yoke>> ? ), but it brings me to the question I
> origionally asked about why that piece in Kents piano seems <<wrong>> if
> the pinblock has rotated.  Why doenst this plank also show signs of
> twisting... or rotating in Kents piano. Is it just the picture doesnt
> show it ?  Looking a Hartmans reproduction it would seem like if the
> pinblock rotates, then this plank would have to be affected also and
> that that should be pretty visable.
>
> You dont have a picture of the plate itself do you John ?

The whole thing bends down and forward in the middle. It is hard to see
without winding sticks. As I recall most of the bending and twisting
goes away when the string tension is removed. The pinblock and yoke are
glued together and are really one assembly. I have other photos that
show the plate but they have not been scanned. The plate ends at the
rebate in the front. In the first photo you can see the screw holes that
are under the string rest .

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal
Journal Illustrator/Contributing Editor

John Hartman
The Universal, How-to, Hands-on Illustrator