Rib Thinning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:14:51 -0500

Hi Ric, sounds like you are moving along nicely on your project. My =
understanding is that there are two trains of thought on this issue.=20

The first is a perhaps traditional view that suggests the panel must fit =
snugly to the edge - I think this is part of the "circle of sound" thing =
and reflecting soundwaves or vibrations or whatever. Like maybe the =
sound might leak out the edge of the panel? Andre Bolduc pours =
fiberglass resin into any gaps between soundboard panel edge and the =
inside surface of the outer rim.

I think some more progressive thinking (IMHO) suggests that all you need =
to do is have the edge of the soundboard firmly attached (glued) to the =
inner rim. If the edge of the soundboard is immobilized (glued to the =
inner rim), you have done all that matters.

If the board is now a little smaller than when you took it out, your =
locator marks aren't going to be super useful in trying to figure out =
where to position the soundboard. Likely the best method will be to get =
the bridges optimally located. If you measured the original speaking =
lengths, try a combination of reproducing the original speaking lengths =
and good alignment of the speaking and backscale portions of the strings =
(assuming they were aligned to begin with - perhaps a big assumption!). =
If you have good photographs of the original alignment, you can refer to =
those. Presumably, the bridges have not changed dimensions much.

Keep us informed. Photographs?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20