loose tuning pins/CA glue

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:15:34 +0100

Michael Gamble wrote:

> Hello List
> Since this is a generally hot debate (we need something hot -
> considering the weather!) I would like to go a little further and
> debate the issue: Does the panel think the holes should be reamed out
> before inserting the new pins.

Not me... I think they should be roughed up a bit... but nothing more
then an appropriate grade of sandpaper cleverly glued onto a 5.5 mm
hammer shank will accomplish.

> Issue 1: the reamer will break down the old glazed surface and prepare
> the hole for the new pin.

You don't need a reamer to do that, and arguably there are better ways
in the first place.

> Issue 2: what size reamer for what size pin?

Since I never use a reamer..... grin.

> Issue 3: Should the reamer be a tapered one to allow a tightening
> characteristic for the replacement pin?

Don't think so... it would just make the rest of the hole looser :)

> Over to you.
> The cold is coming to the Sussex Downlands (so they say)
> Michael G (UK)

Cheers
RicB