Complete Regulation for the Grand Piano

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 01:50:24 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Topperpiano@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:05 AM
Subject: Re: Complete Regulation for the Grand Piano

> On a new piano that has been out of the factory for a month or so I would
> spend around 8 to 12 hours.

    (Playing customer's advocate here):  How do customers react when you
tell them their brand new $20 - $50K piano needs $500 worth of work when
it's fresh from the factory?  (say 10 hrs. times, say, $50/hr. = $500)  If I
were the customer, having spent that much, I would want to return it to the
dealer until any of the best technicians in town would agree that it needs
no further work.  After all, it's brand new and costs as much as a car!  Why
should I have to pay another $500 or maybe even $840  (12 hrs. times
$70/hr.?)
     --David Nereson, RPT