Complete Regulation for the Grand Piano

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 22:48:30 EDT

I usually spend 8 to 10 hours on the new pianos on the dealer's floor.  These
retail for $40,000 or more.  The dealer picks up all of the cost and also
pays for the tech to do the first tuning and any regulation and voicing on the
first visit.  I actually don't think this is really a dealer problem from my
perspective. It really is a manufacturing problem.  It is not the dealer's
problem when the manufacturer uses crappy materials or does a poor job of regulating
in the factory or misses very obvious problems before crating.  The dealer I
work for is doing the best they can to prep the pianos for the floor.  I do
feel however that many of the manufacturers just don't have a way to sift
through the complaints from techs.  They see most of the complaints as just a sea of
problems that they can't prioritize.  They often do not admit to problems
when they see them and have a hard time correcting in a complicated factory
situation.  I used to just go ballistic when I saw really stupid problems from the
manufacturers.  Now I just open up a really poorly made piano and equate it
with a truck payment, weekend at the beach or college tuition for the kids. I'm
happier that way.  TP