Gulbranson Console & Knabe Grand Qs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 04 Jul 2004 13:18:04 -0500

>The house was cooled with an evaporative cooler (common here in NM) and it
>was running--a rumble in the background.  Interesting thought
>though.  I'll have to look into it.
>I've since wondered if seating the strings on the bridge and
>leveling/straightening the strings under the pressure bar would affect
>it.  Probably not as it did seem fairly consistent through a couple
>octaves.  I usually do this with grands but I haven't made it a practice
>with small uprights yet. ;-)
>
>Had a cooler running while I worked on the grand but not the same effect.
>
>Andrew

Give the poor bridge a break and don't seat the strings. That's not it. If
it's not a fan or running motor providing interference and making the
noise, try screwing a hundred grams or so of brass on the back side of the
bridge in the section where the noise is, and see if that helps. It might
surprise you. If one weight helps, but doesn't fix it, try more weights.
Put them between the ribs where the soundboard buttons are.

Ron N