Piano Design (was Interestingly Stable)

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:51:41 +0300

Re: Piano Design (was Interestingly Stable)I'd like to add that the idea =
of "log" scaling (also know as geometric progression) is not new at all. =
I was used in some harpsichords and fortepianos at least since the 18th =
century. Some of these had scales where the string length would double =
every octave =3D using an octave ratio of  1:2 (also called Pythagorean =
scaling). So, to calculate the length of each string, one needs just to =
start from a given legth for the highest note and multiply it with the =
12th root of 2 to get next lower note string length.=20
Others would use tapered scales, based on a smaller progression factor, =
for instance the ratio 1:1.945 for octaves, as proposed by Jakob Bleyer =
in 1811. So, the smaller the factor, the shorter the lower string =
lengths get, if you start from the same length of the highest note.
But these facts were known even before that.
For instance, some of the fortepianos built by Stein used tapered =
scaling with the octave ratio of 1:1.95.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Overs Pianos=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 4:58 PM
  Subject: Re: Piano Design (was Interestingly Stable)

  I do not assume or state that my ideas are the only valid ones. And I =
certainly didn't put forward the idea with any delusion that it might =
gain your respect. Furthermore, I dispute that log scaling is my idea =
alone. While I came up with it independently many years ago (during 1985 =
in fact, while servicing a B=F6sendorfer for the Sydney International =
Piano Competition - in those days it used to take me four hours to =
design a new log scale using a HP11C pocket calculator, 9 seconds per =
inharmonicity calc), there are a number of technicians who contribute to =
this list who share my view, and who almost certainly came up with idea =
independently as well. If you were paying attention you would have =
noticed that others, such as Del Fandrich and Ron Nossaman, are =
similarly convinced about the inadequacy of hockey stick scaling. The =
primary reason, I believe, why factories persist with this archaic =
scaling is that they lack the courage to move the break up to where it =
aught to be for pianos of a given size. Unfortunately, company =
supporters such as yourself appear to be so busy defending the corporate =
position that alternative ideas are likely to be put-down before they =
are given serious scrutiny.
  couple of years.
[...]
  Ron O.