cold hide glue shelf life

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:30:57 -0700

David Nereson asked: "Does the stuff have a short shelf life?"

David,
According to Franklin, Cold Hide glue does have a shelf life. They are now
putting a date on the bottles. (Of course they don't give you an experation
date, just a date of manufacture.) Big help there!!!!! Not!!!! I've have a
small bottle, that I keep in my work rig, for out in the field repairs. I
refill it when it gets low. I've had that sucker for 10 years and never had
a problem! I have, however had problems with the shelf life of Titebond!
They cheerfully replaced it for no cost, as I had just purchased it. Good
Company, IMNSHO! Back to the Cold Hide Glue....I usually use a quart or so
every year, sometimes more and sometimes less. Have not had any problems, so
far. However, having said all that, there is the Hot/Cold, (ie very hot/very
cold), factor that will, indeed make it fail. What those perameters are, I
don't have a clue. You might go to Franklin's Web Site for definitive
answers.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police