price fixing -- sort of

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:01:04 -0700

Terry "Farrell" said: "You say you charge $100 for a tuning, but
plan/(schedule) 2-1/2 hour
appointments for a "tuning, touchup regulation and minor voicing". So what
do you charge for your standard 2-1/2 hour appointment? I presume that would
work out to your on-site hourly rate? Same for shop?

And what is the difference between a Square Grand and a Square Piano? As in
a Spinet Grand?

Terry, et al,
I allow Regular customers a 10% discount, so their tuning is $90.00 on the
return visit. I've found that I spend a lot more time with a new client,
hence the additional $10. Also, I give every new client the Phillip Gurlick
book. This costs me bucks, so I pass that along and it's part of the extra
$10. If I am doing anything to the client's piano, other than tuning, the
first 15 minutes are free. After that it's at my shop rate, calculated in 15
minute increments. Of course, the client has OK'd the work, before I
proceed.
As for the difference between a Square Grand and a Square Piano: The Square
Piano does NOT have a full cast iron plate, but rather anything from no
metal supports to struts, hitch plates, tone resonators, etc. made out of
metal. The Square Grand has a full cast iron plate and has a more standard
action. Generally, they have standard tuning pins, as well. But, not
always!<G>
Working on/Tuning Square Pianos is like an extremely fine balancing act,
(walking on thin ice, so to speak.), that requires my full attention to even
the slightest detail. Stability is truly, very elusive. It can be achieved,
but is VERY Difficult. Because the wood is at least 150 years old, (since
the day they cut the tree down.<G>), it is more often than not, on the
ragged edge of Brash Failure. Extreme caution is the main impetus!
Square Grands, on the other hand, are a piece of cake to work on, IMNSHO.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I