Hammer Detectives

Ray Negron ray@ronsen-hammer.com
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 22:05:21 -0400

Frank,

Vince Vilim was a hammer maker located in Elmsford, NY. I have seen many of
his hammers, but never one stamped "High Heat Brand". Usually they were
stamped "Guaranteed Imported Felt". We visited his factory in 1972, just
before it closed. It was being run by his son, also Vince Vilim, who was
probably in his 70's at the time. I do not remember any of the presses being
equipped with heaters, but that was a long time ago.

Ray Negron
Ronsen Piano Hammer Co.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Frank Jahnke
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 12:51 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Hammer Detectives

I'm getting ready to have my old Knabe grand rebuilt.  I'm not a tech
(and yes, I do hope to work with a good one soon), but have enjoyed this
list greatly (and contributed occasionally).

In the course of evaluating the instrument, I have tried to identify the
"mystery hammers" from an earlier refurbishment of (let me be generous)
marginal quality.  On two of the lower bass hammers I found the name "V.
Vilim" stamped onto the hammer core, with the designation "Guaranteed
HighHeat Brand" printed on the felt.  Given the recent discussion on
Wurzen felt and the effect of heat on hammers (yes, these are rock
hard), I have to believe that they are not particularly good, and should
be replaced.

Nevertheless, I have never heard of this brand.  Has anyone here?  Any
comments on them?

Thanks!

Frank Jahnke