advice needed on Steinway square (1872)

Richard S. Meyer rsm@wt.arl.psu.edu
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:38:39 -0400

Upon moving into an old house, I now find myself in possession of a
Steinway square grand that was left behind by the previous owners:
Serial No. 25734, rosewood, 1872. It was most likely a cast-off from the
local university. Unfortunately, it is not complete: the legs and lyre
are non-original (but from a similar vintage square Steinway in black),
and missing are the desk, pedal box, and lid.The basic structure and all
mechanical parts are in working order, and the ivories are in remarkably
good shape (85 keys). I am torn between locating the missing parts
(inexpensively), or just getting rid of the thing. I know that it is not
likely to ever to be of any great value and that working on it will be a
huge pain in the neck (literally), but I recognize that it is an
interesting piece of history worthy of consideration.

I'd appreciate any advice you have for me on locating parts.

Thanks,
Richard
State College, PA