OT - Windows

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:32:18 -0500

John,

Based on your description, it sounds like you are describing UNIX, not
Linux.

UNIX is basically a console driven OS - similar to what DOS was.

Linux still has UNIX structure under the covers, but has two main
"windowing systems" two choose from - KDE and GNOME.. I prefer KDE
because I think it closest mimics real Windows.

The best way to explain it is if you go back to Windows 3.1 days where
DOS comes up first and Windows is loaded on top of DOS and running as a
DOS application - thats how Linux works.

If you go to
http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/suse_linux/index.html, you can
find "SUSE LINUX for i386 Live-Eval"

SUSE makes the live-eval version of SUSE LINUX available for download as
an ISO image. *

This version runs entirely from the bootable CD and is not installed on
the hard disk.
*
Just download the ISO image and burn to CD. Just boot from the CD you
just made and your off evaluating Linux.

Duaine