Steinway hammer shape

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:38:30 -0700

The Steinway Technical Manual (available from Steinway) has a drawing
illustrating the proper shape of a Steinway hammer.  The illustration shows
a bass, tenor, mid treble and high treble hammer.  It's a useful manual if
you are going to be working on Steinways regularly.  The shape, as Ed Foote
suggests, is more like the small end of an egg, albeit a slightly pointy
one.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net