replacing upright pinblocks(was old uprights)

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:12:26 -0400 (EDT)

   I have used bolducs jig to replace an upright
pinblock 3 times. Takes 3-5 hours to drill holes
1mm above the backframe. Block pops of rather easily
with a big chisel.

    Bloduc then recommends steaming off the remaining
thin layer with a hot iron and wet cloth. Let the
steam do the work and peal it off.

    This leaves very nice original surface,
untouched, unaltered. Goes very quickly to lightly
sand and glue the new block down to this nice flat
surface.

    The last time I did this, I thought I would be
smart and use a power saw to cut strips to a depth
1mm above the frame, and pop the strips off the a
chisel. I purchased a good blade, but they sure used
HARDROCK for that old pinblock. It would have been
just
as slow, and more dust. I went back to the jig.

    3 hours cabinet/sides apart(don't do this often)
    4-5 hours block out
    1 hour prep
    1 hour glue and clamp
    plate in
    2 hours drill
    3 hours cabinet together.

15 hour job total
Block cost plus 15 hours labour.
In my case about $1200-$1400 Canadian dollars.
($800-$900US approx.)
Usually done in the context of a $5000 to $7000 job.

                           Cheers
                           Dave Renaud
                           RPT
                           Canada