string ringing, buzzing, etc.

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:54:18 -0400

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm pretty certain it's not the duplex
scale, since if I mute it the sound persists.

It turned out the right string was not quite mated as the others, so I
reshaped the hammer properly. It did seem to make somewhat of a
difference, but the sound still persists.

So I decided to loosen the string and remove rust/build-up where the
string goes into the agraffe, at the bridge pins and the duplex bar -
in case it was rust of some sort. Still no fix.

I'm getting more curious about this, since as I said a handful of notes
between middle C and the octave above exhibit this problem (though not
nearly as bad). Could it just be over-worn hammers? The piano is about
80 years old.

Thanks.

- John

&