National-Detriot wet Sander..

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:10:45 EDT

Hi Terry
  Sorry for the delay. National- Detroit is based in Rockford Ill. I'm  sure
they must have a web page.
   I don't have the model no. but there are only 2models  as  I recall. Each
has a 2 pads that hold half a sheet of wet/ dry sandpaper. It's a  must for
serious rub out type finish. Well unless your really yooung &  strong. It cuts
the rubout time by 75% & gets tthe surface very flat &  uniform. Yes we use it
with soap & water.
  I got the tip from my friend  Phenoyd Ezra the undisputed Rub  out king of
the western united states. His LA based business  is  Classic woods finishing

Hi Dale,

Sounds like an interesting sander. Do you have a link or a model number  for
it?

Thanks,

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From:  _Erwinspiano@aol.com_ (mailto:Erwinspiano@aol.com)
To: _pianotech@ptg.org_ (mailto:pianotech@ptg.org)
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 8:29  PM
Subject: Re: Another reason to use  mineral spirits to wet sand lacquer....

In a message dated 7/11/2004 4:52:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
_lclgcnp@yahoo.com_ (mailto:lclgcnp@yahoo.com)  writes:

Soapy water gums up the sandpaper very quickly if the
lacquer is  not solidly cured. With mineral spirits I
have found that I only have  to wait a  few days before
rubbing out. With water it was weeks
( or months )!
On this last job I used naptha.  Even better
because it evaporates quickly and has no oily residue.
I  also think that, for this reason, it does not
interfere with the  friction cutting of the abrasive,
while providing a nice thin medium to  flush out the
sand-off. Worked very quickly!
Thump

Interesting idea
  I haven't had any problems with the soapy water  gumming up since I started
using more soap. We use an in line air-wet sander  from Detroit pneumatic, I
think its called, for all our flattening & rub  out prep. It's a real time &
labor saver. It holds two 4 by 8 inch  pieces of sandpaper.
  I find that I can rub out easily after about 10  days. Longer is better but
not really necessary in the dry calif.heat. I  like the idea of Mineral
spirits or naptha in case I need to push something  out quicker. Thanks for the tip
   Dale