soft pedal on new Kawaii

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:16:34 -0700

Julia,

The general spec on an upright is to decrease the hammer blow by half.
Normally this doesn't make a huge difference in the volume - it's
subtle. If you tighten the wing nut on the pedal prop, that will push up
on the hammer rest rail as you've discovered. This introduces lost
motion which, if you readjust, will change certain other regulation
adjustments (e.g., dampers will pick up sooner, checking will be
affected, bridal wires, etc.), all because the pianist wants the piano
to play quieter.

This is where I step back and try to find out from the pianist if she is
having difficulty playing softly, or IOW getting the dynamic range she
wants (which I might interpret as a technique problem that she is
assuming is a piano problem), or whether the hammers are too hard which
don't allow for soft playing (which is a voicing problem).

We often have to read in between the lines with these customer requests. :-)

Tom Cole