soft pedal on new Kawaii

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:17:45 -0400

I believe it has more to do with marketing that with performance. If one =
wanted to make an upright with a una-corda pedal - one would make just =
that - I believe it has been done before on an upright. But obviously =
that costs more and the reason that most folks buy a vertical piano is =
cost savings. Hence the poor-man's una-corda.

So why bother with a pedal at all? Because, as we all know in America, =
all pianos have three pedals - even if two are connected to the same =
mechanism and even if the mechanism doesn't really do anything.

I think the soft pedal on an upright moves the hammers closer to the =
strings and potentially allows the pianist to play softer more easily. I =
should think it would work to some degree, but I also think that it =
would require a good quality, well designed and manufactured upright =
(not a console) that is in good playing condition and is well regulated =
(and I mean friction, et. al.).

However, my observations have been similar to yours - the soft pedal on =
a vertical doesn't do much.

Do the keys go down when the soft pedal is depressed?

Get the hammer blow back to spec (1-3/4" to 1-7/8"). Check to see that =
the soft pedal has as much travel as is possible - sometimes there will =
be a very thick felt on the bottom board that limits pedal travel. See =
that the piano is well regulated - this may be an opportunity to sell a =
complete regulation - or have the dealer pay for it (don't hold your =
breath). This sounds like a new piano - what model?

Or, tell your client to get a good quality grand with a genuine =
una-corda pedal and mechanism.

Hope some of this helps.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20