soft pedal on new Kawaii

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:47:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 11:53 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: soft pedal on new Kawaii

Greeetings List,

                Thank you for the information and suggestions. I have
decided to go back and adjust the hammer rest rail via the pedal wing
nut back to spec of approx 50mm 1.75" plus/minus as I found it and as
sugessted by this list.

                 I am also going to advise the player to use the middle
pedal, (which is a practice mute rail) instead of the soft pedal for the
softening, and explain piano quality: Una corde 101, if you will, ie:
the difference between a grand's una corde and the "poor man's" una
corde as in the upright. I have heard this referred to as poor man's una
corde before. I guess I gotta "spilll the beans".

                 It's a shame. They just purchased this Kawaii in March
of this year ( I have to look closer at the exact model of Kawaii when I
return), and their daughter is aspiring to be a real fine player, at 14,
she played with a symphony in NYC and is expected to commence piano
study at Oberlin Conservatory in the fall!  How the piano dealer could
sell this type of piano to this caliber student, I'll never know!

                   When I "spill the beans" they may decide to return
the piano to the dealer in order to get something better, if they tell
the dealer that I told them this una corde stuff, the dealer may not
like me so much for telling all, and may not hire me again for his
'first free tuning' on his piano sales.

                  But then again, do I really want to work for a dealer
such as this? I know that, in the long run, I will get a better
reputation and more business by steeriing folks in the right direction,
because that's what a business is built on; integrity.

Julia,
Reading, PA

            Julia,

              Respectfully, I think you're being a bit harsh concerning
this dealer.

            This is strictly my opinion, but just because the pianist is
talented it does not follow that the dealer did them a disservice in
selling them this console.

            Maybe their budget precluded the purchase of a grand piano,
or perhaps they told the dealer that the console was the piano that met
their needs.

            Its certainly your obligation to be truthful with this
client, and encouraging them toward a bigger -better piano is in their
best interest, but a simple explanation of the limitations of the soft
pedal in vertical pianos and offering a solution vis a vis the muffler
pedal on this piano is both honest and informative.

            In my opinion you can be honest with the client and not burn
any bridges with the dealer.

            Most dealers have a trade up option on recently purchased
pianos. I would explain to the dealer that this pianist could benefit
from a more advanced model, check out what's on the floor and make some
model recommendations to the client .You don't have to play salesperson
here. Encourage the client toward a better model,. Inform the dealer and
come out with both parties thanking you.

            The other option is to tell the client they made a mistake,
making them feel poorly about their decision (especially if the decision
was based on limited funds).and make the dealer look as if they sold a
lousy piano.

            In my opinion your reputation can be enhanced with both the
client and the dealer.

I started 30 years ago representing a dealer selling Memphis Aeolians.
If you're just starting out, a relationship with a Kawai dealer sounds
pretty good to me!

  Best wishes,

            Tom ---Getting off the soapbox----Driscoll  RPT