soft pedal on new Kawaii

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 07:49:51 -0400

Correct Patrick. The mute rail is not a una-corda. It is not a =
substitute. It is a drastic "on/off" mechanism. A una-corda is a =
mechanism of degree. She needs to use the una-corda - even if it is not =
terribly effective.

Oh, and check your blow distance spec: "50mm 1.75" plus/minus" 50 mm is =
more like two inches - the proper blow is probably closer to 44 mm or =
so, but check with Kawai - or better yet, do the "whatever the piano =
needs - let the piano tell you" thing!

That sounds like my partial differential equations professor in graduate =
school: "let the equations talk to you". Well, I listened, but never =
heard anything. Pianos are much more conversational. I like pianos =
better - much more fun to take to a party.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: J Patrick Draine=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 5:22 AM
  Subject: Re: soft pedal on new Kawaii

  On Jul 25, 2004, at 11:53 PM, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

                     I am also going to advise the player to use the =
middle pedal, (which is a practice mute rail) instead of the soft pedal =
for the softening, and explain piano quality: Una corde 101, if you =
will, ie: the difference between a grand's una corde and the "poor =
man's" una corde as in the upright. I have heard this referred to as =
poor man's una corde before. I guess I gotta "spilll the beans".=20

  Is the customer's problem that she needs to "practice quietly", or is =
it that she needs to practice using the una chorda pedal for her =
upcoming performance? If the latter, she will want to continue using the =
left pedal, and learn to accept the limited (nearly zero) function. If =
family members or neighbors "can't stand all that noise" the middle =
pedal is indeed the solution.

  Patrick Draine=20