veneer revist

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:41:47 -0700

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information about working with
veneer.  For those just joining the discussion.I am working on a "beloved"
piano that was left in an abandoned building with a leaky roof.  The veneer
on the horizontal parts (top and above the key cover) was split, splintered
and mostly off.  I tried to replace with new veneer and wood glue.  I
clamped it into a sandwich with planks, but ended up with air bubbles under
the surface.  I next tried contact cement but the new veneer still had air
pockets under it.  I got many great suggestions about how to apply veneer
which I will definitely do next time.

Having already affixed the veneer, and expecting that I would have to plane
it off anyway, I experimented with pressure and heat.  I turned the dial, on
what I thought was my wife's OLD iron (an amusing story which need not
concern us here!), to high, and proceeded to "iron out" the air pockets.  It
worked!  After ironing the entire surface of the veneer, while exerting a
lot of pressure, there was virtually no warping left.  I have now stained
the new veneer with dark walnut stain, and it looks like it is going to
work.

Again, thanks to all of you who share your expertise with us.  The
collective wisdom of this list is amazing.

Ed Carwithen

John Day, OR